Thursday, August 27, 2009

Flip-Flops Fiasco

Sherwin and I posing with Mr. Horsey in Calle Crisologo
(after I bought my new flip-flops)


That plain, gray-colored pair of flip-flops was the only pair of Havaianas I had left, which I always used alternately with my gold and red Ipanema slippers. It was a hand-me-down from my cousin when he had flown to the US two years ago. I was packed, with a huge grin on my face, and ready to board the bus going to Ilocos when one of the straps snapped free! I guess it was about time, because it was in fact old and worn-out already. Nevertheless, my face fell. This was the only pair I had brought with me, no extras. No shoes either. I was left with no choice, but to use my fiance's masculine-looking Havaianas which were, of course, too jumbo for me. For the meantime, I just had to bear looking like I had Ronald McDonald feet, to match my stylish oversized shirt with cuffed sleeves and my skinny jeans. It was that or I would have to drag my feet towards the nearest 7-11 store, which I believe is much more difficult than just walking barefoot.

Well, I was banking on some of those cheap but cute slippers or sandals that are sometimes sold on the streets. But there was none, and it was almost ten in the evening already. Fortunately, I found a nice-looking pair at 7-11 for only P120! The rubber slippers were black with pink straps, with the brand “Teen Spirit”. Hehe. Now that’s the spirit! Ilocos, here I come!

I was not really bothered much by the fact that these flip-flops seemed to lessen the fashionable flair that I wanted to achieve with the outfits I had carefully planned for this trip (mostly just shirts and jeans, but still mapped out beforehand, with matching accessories to accent the look =)). My mind and heart were more focused on the word VACATION, which translated to "no worries, no stress, more sleep, more fun". Hence I was fast asleep for almost the whole 10-hour ride.

After visiting two churches, we had breakfast at the Gordion Hotel in Vigan where we savored the delectable buffet and freshened up. We then went to the nearby Syquia Mansion and Crisologo Museum. Afterwards, we headed to the famous Calle Crisologo where unexpectedly, the fate of my Ilocos fashion statement was changed. To my surprise and delight, I was greeted by a large tarpaulin advertisement of Havaianas which appeared quite odd along the path of cobblestones and ancient bahay na bato architectural designs.

Imagine Havaianas during the ancient Spanish colonial period

The sole shop that sold Havaianas in the entire city of Vigan

The shop was called Red Dot and they were selling a lot of great designs, which were more than the ones offered at the All Flip-Flops branches in Manila. And unlike back home in the metro, they had plenty of available sizes, which made me happy. For a split second, I wanted to forego the temptation and ignore the impulsive shopaholic in me. But then I reasoned to myself that I have actually been planning to purchase a pair for several weeks now. Upon fitting a few pairs that went well with my get-up, I was more than convinced.

Hhhmmm....what should I buy?

Shopping inside the Red Dot shop

Though it was really hard to pick only one design, I finally decided on the blue and green swirls with white slim straps which would go perfectly with my basic casual clothes even when I'm back in Manila. Of course the amount of usage was always one of my top considerations, making me so much better than Becky Bloomwood of Sophie Kinsella's Shopaholic book series.

I came out of the store with a big smile, ready to explore all the historical and cultural places Ilocos has to offer. Who would have thought I'd come across a chic pair of slippers in the center of this aged Spanish colonial city? Guess it was meant to be. =)

P.S. I came back on our last day to buy the high platform kind of slippers, which was originally what I wanted to buy in Manila but could not here because we had to do a lot of walking. But this time, I was short of cash so I intended to "swipe it". Their machine was not working properly, which had me thinking if I was actually thankful for that or not. Hehehehe...

1 comments:

jan celiz-magtoto August 28, 2009 at 10:26 AM  

three words would best describe the experience of seeing the latest fashion in an old city --- irony of life. hehehe! -bits & pieces