Tuesday, July 21, 2009

A Night of Nostalgia

With my left hand, I took another spoonful of my yummy Red Mango green tea-flavored yogurt. And with my right hand, I sent a text message on my cellular phone. Then I looked up to join the conversation once more. "Anu 'yun?" I asked my long-time girlfriends. They were laughing about something.


"Alala mo 'yung Xavier fair?" asked Dyan.

"Ah oo!" I answered immediately. "Nagsuka ako non, diba?" As soon as I had said that, everybody in the table burst out laughing. I was at a lost.

It turned out that earlier, Dyan was reminiscing about the time we had all gone to the Xavier school fair back in our high school days. She said she had thrown up in the middle of the field, so we had to leave immediately. Then Lea had butt in, claiming that it was actually her who had thrown up. "Wag ka mang-angkin ng suka!" she had said. Plus she even remembered being handed an empty bottle of mineral water where she could throw up in. Now wait a minute... now there's a familiar detail which I know had happened to me. "Ako 'yun!" I argued. I even recalled the cause--- eating too much Spanish bread at Minik's house!

We were laughing our heads off like crazy, oblivious to the people around us. We had tears in our eyes! Even Brian (Minik's husband) and By (Lea's husband) were laughing so hard. Of all the things to fight about, it had to be something gross. Well, I won the battle. Hehehe.

Back in high school (uhm...euw? hehe...)

More than a year ago at Minik's wedding
(sadly without Karla anymore)

Last night was certainly a night of nostalgia, as we reminisced once more about funny and unforgettable moments in our past. Unbelievable exes... petty quarrels... taxi moments...our surprise party for Lea's 16th birthday where we had arranged a "16 Roses" dance with the boys (we have to wrinkle our noses as we recall this)...

These four girls (Karla, the fifth one, lives in Australia now) have been my closest friends for almost 15 years and are very dear to me. It's amazing how time flies. For a short while, it was like we were back in high school, chatting loudly and laughing uncontrollably. I can't believe three of us are married now, two with kids, and one expecting.

We had met up at around 6:30pm yesterday at the new Eastwood Mall and had eaten dinner at My Thai Kitchen. From the second we had ordered our food, it was like a marketplace of crisscrossing dialogues across the table. And because we girls have not been complete for quite some time now, it was a riot as expected. Our topics had jumped from gown designs to breast pumps, from Hayden Kho videos to masteral theses, from in-laws to the SNN spoof in the TV show Banana Split! Together with the ever hilarious side comments and anecdotes from the two men (minus my equally comical fiance), it was truly without a boring moment. Fun and chaotic would be more fitting, I guess.

Dessert was just as delicious in Red Mango, where we continued our frenzied conversations. The luscious yogurt and boisterous laughter was just the perfect blend to wrap up a usually work-filled Monday for me. Such simple pleasures always bring a smile to my lips.

Until our next get-together, girlfriends! =)

1 comments:

lea,  July 23, 2009 at 2:37 PM  

Alam mo naman, when we get together, nothing else matters. We don't have to be at a fancy place or do something extreme to have fun. Basta magkakasama lang, we have the time of our lives.